Thursday, August 20, 2009

Sloppy Joes

I don't know how many of my faithful followers use the "Manwich" style sloppy joes, but I really don't like that brand - so I have made my own Sloppy Joes from scratch. Several years back, I found a good tomato sauce recipe from the Food Network and have used it as my base for the sloppy joes. I start with;
1 onion dice
1 bell pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 Teaspoon Italian spices
2 teaspoons salt and pepper
1 teaspoons crushed red pepper
saute all of these ingredients in the olive oil until tender. Transfer the soft veggies into a food processor and blend until smooth. Place back into the sauce pan and add 1 large can of crushed tomatoes and 1 large can of diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil,then turn down to low for about thirty minutes or until the tomato sauce has reduced. You want the sauce to be almost to the consistency of tomato paste (thick). Now you are ready to use this for the sloppy joes -just brown some ground meat,onion, bell pepper and salt and pepper and then add the sauce.

Note: I have added some zucchini and yellow squash to the tomato sauce so that you can hid the veggies for those who do not like them.

Enjoy.

No comments: