Monday, September 21, 2009

Scotch Cake

This recipe is Scott's favorite dessert and so I made it for his birthday, and would like to share it with my faithful followers. It is a simple recipe, but has lots of calories because of the butter (Paula Deen would love this recipe). I got this recipe from Scott's mother, but as far as the history behind it I can't tell you. I think it came from Scotland because they do like to use lots of butter in their recipes.

Sift together: 2 cups flour and 2 cups sugar. ( I added a sprinkle of cinnamon into the mixture)

In sauce pan bring to boil: 2 sticks of butter, 4 Tablespoons cocoa (I added a little more to make the cake darker)and 1 cup water.

Pour into the flour/sugar mixture.

Mix and add 1/2 cup buttermilk, 2 eggs slightly beaten, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.

Mix and pour into greased and floured pan ( I used Pam baking spray) and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.

Now for the icing.

About 5 minutes before the cake is done, boil 1 stick of butter with 4 Tablespoons of Cocoa (you can add more if so desired) and 6 tablespoons milk. Remove from heat and add 1 (1pound) box (3 1/2 cups) Confectioners powdered sugar 1 Teaspoon vanilla, mix well and pour over the hot cake. sprinkle pecans on top.

This is a delicious cake for special occasions

Enjoy!
Until next time.

No comments: